Harkány (Croatian: Harkanj) is a town in Baranya county, Hungary.
The area has been inhabited since medieval times, the name Nagh Harkan was mentioned in a document from the year 1323. The origin and meaning of the name harkány comes from the name of a Hungarian bird (harkály), there are archaeological findings showing that the area was inhabited by Huns and Avars about 1000 years ago. Nowadays the area is inhabited by Hungarians, Croatians, Serbs, and Slovaks.
Medical waters rich in sulphur were discovered by Pogány János in 1823, a well digger who sensed the warm waters had a good effect on his ill leg. The medical benefits of the waters are proved in treatment of locomotive disorders, chronic gynaecological inflammations and lymphatic malfunctions and for psoriasis.
The content of the water is the following:
Sodium: 170,0 mg - Ammonium: 2,9 mg - Calcium: 53,4 mg - Magnesium: 13,8 mg
Potassium: 15,0 mg - Cations together: 255,1 mg - Chloride: 112,0 mg
Bromide: 0,23 mg - Iodide: 0,1 mg - Fluoride: 1,2 mg – Hydrogen carbonate: 537,0 mg
Sulfide: 13 mg - Phosphorus: 9,1 mg - Anions together: 667,73 mg
Metaboric acid: 7,0 mg – Silicic acid: 51,0 mg- Free Sulfuric Acid: 131,0 mg
Since the discovery of the medical waters 150 years ago, the number of tourists visiting the spa of Harkány has reached one million people yearly. Harkány is one of the most famous city spas; a lot of places of accommodation and recreation have been built. Most of the hotels are of European standards. Harkány has a hospital for treatment of rheumatic related illnesses.